Brian Tenneson wrote:
> Hi Brent,
>> You are asserting monism.  But the One, the ur-stuff, is
>> ineffable/unknowable.
>> So when we place ourselves in the world it is by making distinctions within
>> the
>> unity.  To become distinct from the background (the One) is what it means to
>> be
>> RITSIAR.  Right?
>>
>> Brent
>>
> How do you know that the One, the ur-stuff, is ineffable/unknowable?  If
> your being, for example, was the ur-stuff (I assume you mean akin to
> urelements in set theory), then it is "effable" and knowable.
>
> You have written about it, and at least two of its properties, and so it
> is not completely ineffable, yes?
> So I think it is "effable" even if it is exceedingly difficult to
> describe fully.  What I'm having trouble believing is that it is unknowable.

In the above I was trying to paraphrase what David wrote.  I don't have a final
theory, but if I did it would include some ontology and that would be effable
(no point in having a theory you can't use to theorize).  But even if I did I
don't think it would be possible to *know* that it was the final theory.  So
it's unknowable in that sense.