On 26 Aug 2009, at 13:10, Mirek Dobsicek wrote:

> So if you have said that you got hooked-up to math by that socratic
> method... Bruno would definitely took the hint in his seveth step
> serii.

I appreciate very much the Socratic method, and I apply it as much as
possible. The UDA itself is a sequence of questions, and I teach
students mainly by asking questions.

But this really can work only if the students ask themselves questions
too.

For some reason some people does not dare to ask question. I think
they could be afraid to slow me down, but it does not matter, given
that there is no deadline. I try to encourage to ask questions, even
out-of-line, but without too much success. I guess a question of taste
is involved, and personal history with math, lack of thrust in
oneself, and I can't force anybody to take the time to study, prepare
questions, etc.

Of course, I don't think I could use a pure socratic method, like in
your example, because there is much more material involved.

Another difficulty comes from the fact that the level and background
of those participating are very different, and it is hard, especially
with so few feedback to satisfy everybody. It is already very
different according to the fact that you have or not get some "modern
math" in high school or not ...

I am preparing, slowly (I'm rather busy),  the next "seven step
serie". Please ask question if anything is unclear. Any question or
remark can help, you, me, and some others.