On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 10:54:53AM -0500, John Mikes wrote:
> I wonder if a 'robot' can produce a "noch nie dagewesen" (Ger. for brand
> new) unrelated idea?

I do know Hod Lipson from the ALife community, but am not familiar
with this particular piece of research. From  the WIRED article, I
understand this to be a particular implementation of inductive
reasoning by machine. It is impressive enough that this is possible,
but I don't for one minute think that they have approached the
creative power of a human being. But it certainly feasible that humans
are really just more so of what this machine does.

Still, the whole area of machine learning, and minimum length
description has some very interesting surprises in store, which is why
I've never bought Colin's argument. For instance John Koza's genetic
programs have created several electronic circuits, some of which were
patentable, so fit the requirement of noch nicht dagewesen.

Cheers

Mathematics
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         hpco...@hpcoders.com.au