Colin,

I think we have always agreed on this conclusion. We may differ on the premises.

It just happen that I am using a special hypothesis, which is very common, but not so well understood, and which is the digital mechanist hypothesis. Then the discourse of the universal machine, which knows that she is universal, leads to quite a precision of what you are saying, it seems to me. For the "universe' X we can take arithmetical truth, and from this, doing the math, you discover that any universal machine, by being embedded in arithmetical truth indeed, will inherit, not two, but 8 modes or 'points of view', which are the main variant of the logic of self-reference. Some give the person, some gives the person bodies, some the coherent dreams, etc. (the eight hypostases). Some of those variant are not computable: the Nôus, second hypostase, is P1- complete with arithmetical truth as oracle!

But, contrary to what you say, it leads to precise predictions, given that it makes the quanta a particular sort of sharable qualia, it makes physics a branch of number theory, and its math is entirely derivable from number+self-reference, making the DM hypothesis testable. The qualia themselves are made indirectly testable too. It is real concrete theory which ask us to be modest relatively to the universal Löbian machines.

Would you say that your theory would prevent someone to "say yes to a digital surgeon"?
Would your theory prohibit the marriage between humans and machines?
Do you think machine cannot makes it possible for genuine consciousness to manifest relatively to ourselves?

The confusion that you describe can appear in the discourse of the machine in the form of the modal confusion between Bp and Bp & p (or Bp and Bp & p & Dt, etc.).

It makes us backtrack to the greek theologians, but today we have theoretical computer science to make things precise and testable.

It is not a question of dreaming of abstract interactions, just to deduce facts in a theory. The 'yes doctor' shows it is not an 'abstract hypothesis': it is a question of life or death, really. The DM ethic is that you have the right to say 'no' to the doctor, even if this entails your 'clinical death'. You have the ability to choose your doctor also.

Bruno Marchal