Hi John,

On 23 Jan 2011, at 18:20, John Mikes wrote:

Right on and Onward - Stephen,
that is my point as well. Our thinking loop is closed "inside" our mind.

On another list (psich etc. mainly) they babble about 'wave as the FORM of energy etc. and I asked the big question I have asked many physicists (and the best answer was: "Good question") WHAT IS THE MARVEL YOU PEOPLE CALL - E N E R G Y ? Moving (changing) cannot come from the 'inside (view?)' otherwise why was 'it' in the position "to be moved/changed" FROM to begin with?

My point is only that IF we accept digital mechanism THEN the *appearance* of movement is an inside, first person, construction, due to the gap between what a machine (number) can prove and what is true.

If you believe that time is not a first person construction, then you have to believe that DM (digital mechanism, comp) is false.

That is all what I say, together with the fact that it is far easier to build a phenomenology of time and matter from number and consciousness than the opposite (failure of aristotelian materialism).

The rest in math.

You insist a lot on human's limitations. You should appreciate that with DM, I insist a lot on machine's limitation. The beautiful thing is that Löbian machine (universal machine aware of their turing universality) are aware of those limitations, and that those limitation appears to have a creative role. The gap between their beliefs and truth conducts and differentiates the consciousness flux, in a way making the illusion of matter lawful. That's how God become able to forget who he is and become able to say hello to itself, even if sometimes he need an emailer ;)

In my (naive) worldview going one little step back from the Big Bang(?) into a 'Plenitude' of everything in perfect (and unlimited) symmetry with total interaction (postulating violations of itself - as I tried to explain) (Karl Jaspers Forum 2003 "Networks of Networks") where I tried to approach the 'motive' as the trend to RETURN to the symmetry from 'complexities' (like the Big Crunch, Black holes, infinite dissipation and similar daydreams). It may "DO" things assigned to that so called 'energy'.
But this was also only MY daydream from WITHIN.

I tried to "trap" Bruno (whom I appreciate no end) into some idea HOW numbers can do ANYTHING (e.g. GENERATE a change/movement) but in vain.

The relation between numbers are very rich and complex, as number theory illustrates. But the precise reason why we can say that, relatively to each other, the numbers compute, is already in Gödel fundamental 1931 paper. And in all good textbook on mathematical logic. It is long and tedious to proof this well, but the ideas are not so harder than the programming of any universal system in another.

If any computer access a computational state, such a fact is already a theorem of (Robinson) arithmetic. Only states accessed by infinite, non local, analog, garden of Eden type, of infinite machines are not necessarily accessed by arithmetic 'even internally').

Remember that before Gödel we thought arithmetical truth to be accessed by machine. After Gödel we know that machine access about nothing, and can only scratch the surface. Arithmetic (unlike all arithmetical theories and machines) *is* very big.

Assuming we are machine, Gödel's theorem applies to us, and explain that we know about nothing about the capabilities of numbers and of machine.

The inability of (some) human to listen to machine might be (some) human limitation, perhaps. No?

If 'universal numbers' (new to me after my 'vacation') can indeed compute, they need initiation to do so.

Universal number are just "universal machine", that is computer, in the mathematical sense. Once you fix a theory, digital machine can be identified with the number which describes the machine in the theory. I have fixed the theory: it is Robinson Arithmetic, so I identify machine and numbers. And so, I talk about universal numbers instead of universal machine. It makes directly clear that e are talking about something finitely describable. Universal number can be defined and proved to exist in Robinson Arithmetic (which is just the definition of the successor relation"+1", addition and multiplication). Universal machine or numbers are finite thing, unlike Turing machine when taken to much literally. A LISP interpreter is a finite program, and it defines a universal number.

Our primitive embryonic computers have to be plugged into electricity to work.

Our material (but not necessarily *primitively* material) computers needs this. But if you believe in number theory, you can see that a mathematical computer can mathematically compute without being implemented in a physical reality. Physical reality appears as sum on all those non material implementation in arithmetic by the UDA+MGA argument. Matter has to be an indexical.

Have a nice day, John, I appreciate your concern and open mindness. Please remind that I am not pretending anything about reality, just that IF mechanism is TRUE, then Plato is closer to the truth than Aristotle. But Mechanism might be wrong, sure. But this we don't know yet, and if mechanism is true, we will remain forever undecided about it. Mechanism is not believable by the first person. In a sense the first person are NOT machine, from the first person point of view, they are not even self-nameable. They are "meta-axiomatizable" at the propositional level (S4Grz1), but not beyond (I think).

Mechanism is a belief in a form of reincarnation. It *is* a religion. A such, and in practice it is more a question of right, than a question of truth. It is both the right to say yes to the doctor, as to say no.

Bruno

Otherwise they are expensive paperweights. What is a 'universal number' plugged in
to do anything? or is it only OUR thinking to do 'numbery' functions?
Where do WE draw our mobility from? Not from explanation/definition of how we act.

So - in spite of our agreement, dear Stephen, there MUST BE an outside view - we just don't get it. We may get the result of it and try to explain within our ignorance. In Colin's mini-solipsism. Chaque-un a son gout.

Thanks for reflecting to my post and best wishes to all

John