Dear Bruno,

let me reply in fragments - your two responses are too comprehensive for one
post for me.
So for now:  T R U T H .
 *"I am a neoneoplatonist believer, John, I believe in truth, and that is
the motor of my research."*
is IMO very different from your: *"Now what is a truth?..."* you go on with.
All I referred to is "a" truth (yours or mine etc., from which you
emphasized 'mine' only)  and that gives a difference what I wanted to point
to.
In my worldview of only partial knowledge, in an unlimited complexity of
everything (beyond our limitations and imagination) your plain 'truth'
cannot exist, but everybody is entitled to his or her (personal?) cut-truth
to believe (in).
I would not argue against your neoneoplatonist (??) "truth".  Your father
was a wise man.

I don't think there is much difference between the stance of the two of us
in this topic (if we discount your misreading on the exclusivity of 'my
truth').
I even tried to 'touch' the SHARED part of all individual solipsisms into a
common belief what many misunderstand as a communal knowledge of the world.
Beside such shared views everybody has personal aspects - maybe not
expressed all the time. The 'accepted' and shared knowledge is the basis of
our conventional sciences (math included?).

Then Brent interjected:
*"It isn't faith if it's based on evidence (even if it's wrong)."*
*(*with - I think - Bruno's addition:
*"It is faith when you lack proof. You are confusing faith and blind
faith.")*
**
**
Brent is close to my position: *there is no evidence*, only excerpts of our
restricted (limited) view (knowledge) - the partial topical 'model' of the
totality that entered our 'solipsism' so far.
The same applies to Bruno's *"proof"*  - it also can be drawn only from our
personal and so far acquired 'model' of the topical knowledge we already
carry.
In view of our steadily increasing information about more and more from the
totality (from Copernicus, through Mendel to Watson-Crick, or J.S.Bach and
L.DaVinci, etc. etc.) 'old proof' is no 'evidence' at a later stage of
increased knowledge. So 'faith' seems discredited - at least not durable.

I 'think' this is Brent:
*"But faith is exactly what religions forbid one to "reset".*
(Without the 'but') yes, it is essential for the survival of formal
religions. To keep the old hearsay alive and within the 'faith' the
believers carry.

And (I think) Bruno's paragraph compares some theocratic and scientific
beliefs in the spirit as I wrote in my essay. We DO believe in tenets of
conventional science.  Use them as proof, as evidence, base conclusions upon
them, construct instruments and measurements (comparison) showing
similarities between those details we included into our explanations to give
some understanding to phenomena we only partially glimpsed. At our present
primitive state we cannot encompass the comp[lexity of 'them all' and the
relentless change in which our world - what? - exists? works? stagnates (as
in ontology?) or just exceeds our mental capabilities?
Finally:
A *BIG*, religious(!)  --   *A M E N*  --  to the 2 statements:

 *"I am certainly a bit anxious about that. But it is not the fault of
religion per se that humans pervert the original inquiry." *
and:
*"That is far too generous.  Religion is the perversion of inquiry.* "
(Meaning of course the traditional theocratic ones).

Thanks.

John M