>So would the person dissociated from these images, or feeling them
>meaningless or unlreal, etc., ever report these different feelings?
>Remember, nerves control movement of the vocal cords, if the neural network
>was unaffected and its operation remained the same all outwardly visible
>behavior would also be the same.  The person could not report any
>differences with their sense of vision, nor would other parts of their brain
>(such as those of thought, or introspection, etc.) have any indication that
>the nerves in the visual cortex has been modified (so long as they continued
>to send the right signals at the right times).

I'm saying that without DNA in the neurons, or something which
functions exactly as DNA, it may not be possible to satisfy the given
that the neural network is unaffected. It's all a matter of what the
substitution level is. If you replaced water with heavy water, it's
not exactly the same thing. If you have something that acts like water
in all ways, it's nothing but water. If you have a brain made of
neurons that are not neurons, you have something other than a brain to
one degree or another, depending on the exact difference. If you are
stating as a given that there is no difference between the replacement
brain from a biological brain, then the replacement brain is nothing
but a biological brain.

>All inputs to the brain are the result of neuronal interaction, as are all
>outputs.  Neurons are affected by other neurons.

I think that 'the brain' is neuronal interaction (and intracellular
interaction, molecular interaction). It's inputs and outputs are with
the outside world of physical sense and the inside world of semantic
sense. The brain is the abacus, storing, changing, and organizing
patterns, but the experience is felt through the brain, not as a
consequence of the brain's functionality. The functionality of course
determines access to what patterns can be accessed from the exterior
by the interior and vice versa, but it is the interior sense of the
brain as a whole which is the user(s) of the computer.

>Now if I present an apple to a person, and I ask "What is this?" and the
>person reports "An apple." that is an example of perception.
>
>In theory, one could trace the nerve signals from the optic and auditory
>nerves all the way to the nerves controlling the vocal cords.  For
>perception to not be the result of neuronal interaction, you would need to
>find some point between the auditory and visual inputs and the verbal
>outputs where something besides other nerves are controlling or affecting
>the behavior of nerves.

The perception is the result of the apple first. Of the properties of
the universe which allow sense to be propagated from apple to optic
nerve to visual cortex. From the outside looking in, perception is
incredibly complex. From the inside looking out, it's very simple.
Pain is simple. We are complex so our pain is mechanically achieved in
a relatively complex way, but any living organism probably has some
version of a pain-like experience. It's as elemental as ATP or DNA. We
can't observe it from the outside of course, because the interior
universe is inumerable private reality tunnels; the polar opposite of
the public unified topology of the exterior.

>Humans can make TV sets using cathode ray tubes, liquid crystal displays,
>projection screens, plasma display panels, and so on.  Obviously material
>does not matter for making a TV set, what is important is the functions and
>behaviors of the components.  So long as the components allow emission of
>light at certain frequencies at specific locations on a grid it could be
>used to construct a television set.

Of course material matters. There is a narrow range of materials which
we can feasibly make a TV set out of. We can't make a TV set out of
hamburger because hamburger cannot be made into components that do the
same thing as semiconductors.  You're also conflating TV set with any
two dimensional display, which is not what we're talking about. We
very well could genetically engineer a brain, or biologically engineer
a brain, but I'm saying that we cannot semiotically engineer a brain
out of inorganic matter and expect it to be able to feel what
organisms feel. It's just going to be a sculpture of a brain that
behaves like a brain from the outside, but it can only play DVDs for
us. It has no user.

Craig