>On 21 Jul 2011, at 00:14, meekerdb wrote:
>
>> On 7/20/2011 2:59 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>> What does consciousness require?
>
>> Interaction with the world.
>
>But what is a world? Also, assuming computationalism, you need only to
>believe that you interact with a "world/reality", whatever that is,
>like in dream. If not you *do* introduce some magic in both
>consciousness and world.
>
>> Information processing.  Memory.  A point of view; i.e. model of the
>> world including self.  Purpose/values.
>
>OK. Although "conscious purpose" is already a high form of
>consciousness, it might be self-consciousness.

Consciousness is nothing more than the elaborated experience of
feeling. The world it interacts with does not have to make any
objective sense, requires no information processing or memory, purpose
or value. Pain is consciousness. It need not contain any information
beyond a projection of the possibility of it's cessation. It is a self-
explanatory, innate, first person experience that doesn't need any
complex logic behind it, nor will any amount of logic necessarily
alleviate it directly. You can't always reason with pain. Pain cannot
be simulated quantitatively in any way. There is no equation, game, or
purely inorganic quantitative system that has ever felt pain or will
ever feel what we know as pain. Without first hand experience of the
difference between pain and pleasure, there can be no animal level of
consciousness.

Craig