Thank you Stephen for raising this point, I very rarely see it
discussed, despite how obvious it is in retrospect. I sometimes wonder
what it would be like to inhabit a construction based on a static
brain scan... one that could not evolve. I think it would be very much
like a stuck record. And yet, the one would not realize it!

Clearly, scanning a brain down to the synapse would be an incredible
achievement. FWIW I don't think specific firing patterns are all that
important, as these get reset every night during sleep, at least in
the neocortex. But how the topological model evolves in response to
experiencing/imagining/learning/dreaming etc is probably crucial for
reconstructing believable personae.

Another aspect of the replication idea that is usually overlooked or
minimized is the importance of situatedness or embodiment and how
difficult (or shocking, from the perspective of the one who inhabits)
it would be to be suddenly switched to a simulated/robotic body and
environment... and the resulting effects this would have on the
replicated/simulated person.

Terren