Hi Stephen,

On 17 Aug 2011, at 16:08, Stephen P. King wrote:

Hi,

Recently a link was referenced that discussed how serial sectioning of brains is being automated: http://www.mcb.harvard.edu/lichtman/ATLUM/ATLUM_web.htm I have a question about this. Will this technology yield a model of the dynamics of brain activity or will it be another taxonomy of brain structures? It seems that dynamics are completely missing from the narrative about scanning and uploading our brains into Turing Machines. How exactly is a topological map of the structure of the brain contain any information about the specifics of brain activity? At best it might allow us to toss out models of dynamics that have implications that would contradict the topology structure, but nothing at all about how the topologies evolve.

I don't find the references now, but I remember having read that some animal, like frogs, can freeze and resume the brain activity after that. Some experience on rat shows that long term memory is preserved in freezing, and that during freezing the activity of the brain is really near zero. Short term memory is not. A cryogenized person might survive with an amnesia of the last 5-6 minutes. The dynamic of the brain is coded in the neurotransmitter concentrations, not in the ionic potential along the axions. That might be an argument for saying that the comp subst. level *might* be high.