On 1 October 2011 18:07, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> To be short, only intelligible
> ideas exist [only numbers and definable relations exist]. God and matter
> does NOT exist, but they do exist epistemologically. And they are quite
> distinct for what really exist. This does not work for a physicalist,
> because he want to avoid that GOD, and make the global picture a compound of
> the elementary things: he want a universe composed of material stuff, but
> that cannot work if we want maintain the existence (even if epistemological)
> of first person, and that is why honest and rational materialist are bounded
> to eliminate the very existence of the persons.

Yes, this can make sense for me (fortunately we have been round some
of these houses before, so I've had some time to bash my brains into
shape on these points!).  I don't wish to fight over vocabulary here,
so when you say "God and matter does NOT exist, but they do exist
epistemologically" I will resist any temptation to accuse you of
contradicting yourself, but rather accept that this statement is a way
of recognising both the reality and the distinctiveness of God,
matter, consciousness and the "intelligible ideas".  After all, given
that it's theology we're talking about, I don't find this more
confusing than the doctrine of the Trinity!  We agree that "honest and
rational materialist are bounded to eliminate the very existence of
the persons", although (and this is the nub of my argument) to be
consistent they ought at the same time to give up using any vocabulary
predicated on (and entirely derived from) such existence.  The problem
is that if they did, they wouldn't have much left to say for
themselves.  Perhaps that's why they don't.

>> Consequently, in my view, denial of a distinct first person ontology
>> ought to be seen as having the consequence of radical reduction of the
>> remainder to some such arena of primitives and their relations,
>> independent of any metaphysical postulate of their fundamental nature.
>> Hence, such denial is unintelligible.
>
> Not really, even for a physicalist. Because my point above explain why for
> machine, their consciousness will appear to be both "ontologically real" yet
> quite distinct from anything postulated as primitive in the theory.

I'm still not sure why you would say "not for a physicalist".  In
terms of your theory, there is a principled account of why "their
consciousness will appear to be both "ontologically real" yet quite
distinct from anything postulated as primitive in the theory", but in
the physicalist theory (say, the "identity" version) there can be no
such account, given the premise that only the physical primitives are
"really real".  Of course, if their theory is physicalism + CTM (which
we both believe to be incorrect), they are equating consciousness =
computation, but the problem with this is that, in the physicalist
theory, "computation" just isn't anything of the sort you describe
above; it's just certain kinds of relations that happen to exist
between entities defined solely in terms of the "real reality". To
make this theory coherent, the physicalist would have to accept that
"computation" additionally has just the kind of "ontological reality"
and distinctness you describe.  But then, in the face of physicalism,
this would be, as you remark, frankly dualistic (and also, in this
case, wrong, unless UDA is false).

David

David

> [...]
>>>
>>> I've been following this discussion, though not commenting (I don't
>>> understand all of it).  However, your remark above caught my eye,
>>> because it reminded me of something that came up a while back, about
>>> whether reductive explanations logically entail elimination of
>>> non-primitive entities.  I argued that this is their whole point;
>>> Peter Jones disputed it.  Your comment (supporting my view, I think)
>>> was that reductionism was necessarily ontologically eliminative,
>>> though of course not epistemologically so.
>>>
>>> Yes. This makes sense. Certainly a wise attitude, given that UDA shows
>>> that
>>> if Mechanism is correct then both consciousness and matter are reduced to
>>> number relations. If reduction was elimination, we should conclude that
>>> consciousness does not exist (that would be nonsensical for any conscious
>>> creature) and that the physical reality does not exist, which does not
>>> make
>>> much sense either.
>>> A physicalist would also be obliged to say  that molecules, living
>>> organism,
>>> etc. don't exist. Note that James Watson seemed to have defended such a
>>> strong reductive eliminativism.
>>> But I don't see any problem with reduction, once we agree that some form
>>> of
>>> existence can be reduced to other, without implying elimination.
>>> Mechanism makes it clear that machine are *correct* when they believe in
>>> material form. Indeed all LUMs can see by themselves the rise of matter,
>>> or
>>> the correct laws of matter by introspection, and they will all see the
>>> same
>>> laws.
>>>

>>>  Indeed this seemed to me
>>> uncontroversial, in that the whole point of a reductionist program is
>>> to show how all references to compound entities can be replaced by
>>> more primitive ones.
>>>
>>> Your remark above seems now to be making a similar point about
>>> arithmetical "reductionism" in the sense that, presumably,
>>> computations can analogously (if loosely) be considered compounds of
>>> arithmetical primitives, a point that had indeed occurred to me at the
>>> time. If so, what interests me is the question that inspired the older
>>> controversy.  If the primitives of a given ontology are postulated to
>>> be all that "really" exist, how are we supposed to account for the
>>> apparent "existence" of compound entities?
>>>
>>> We need two things. The primitive objects, and the basic laws to which
>>> the
>>> primitive objects obeys, and which will be responsible of making possible
>>> the higher level of organization of those primitive objects, or some
>>> higher
>>> level appearances of structures.
>>> In the case of mechanism, we can take as primitive objects the natural
>>> numbers: 0, s(0), s(s(0), etc.
>>> And, we need only the basic laws of addition and multiplication, together
>>> s(x) = s(y) -> x = y
>>> x+0 = x
>>> x+s(y) = s(x+y)
>>> x*0=0