Thanks Bruno for patiently explaining things.

It's interesting that you bring up computer science as I am doing a
career change right now and am going into computer science.  I
eventually want to work in brain simulation.  A lot of the ideas in
this group are relevant.

>From the paper, I'll quote again (mainly for myself when I look back
at this message)
>From page 17
"It is my contention that the only way out of this dilemma is to deny the
initial assumption that a classical computer running a particular program can
generate conscious awareness in the first place."

If the author is correct that would seem to drive a nail in the coffin
for the digital generation of conscious awareness though in some way
that might not prove that brain simulation is impossible.  Perhaps
brain simulation would occur in such a way that the simulation is
never consciously self-aware but if that were the case, how good is
that simulation??

If my doctor wanted to replace my brain with an artificial brain, I
think I'd be scared out of my mind if LINUX wasn't an option hehe...
Thanks Bruno.

I know this might seem like a naive observation but the Bolshoi
universe simulation recently done on a supercomputer at UC Santa Cruz
in California produced some images of an early universe that had an
uncanny resemblance to the human brain.  It gives me hope that it is
possible to simulate a brain on a classical computer.  Perhaps the
details would involve highly complex neural networks; the hope would
be to rival the complexity of an actual brain.

Here is a link that includes video
http://hipacc.ucsc.edu/Bolshoi/

(Then of course we might get into some ethical quandaries regarding
the personhood of a simulated brain such as can we run any experiment
on it that we feel like running... is simulated suffering ethically
equivalent to actual suffering... and that sort of thing.)