From page 17
"It is my contention that the only way out of this dilemma is to deny the
initial assumption that a classical computer running a particular program can
generate conscious awareness in the first place."

What about the possibility of allowing for a "large number" of conscious moments that would, in a limit of some sort, approximate continuous, conscious awareness? In my mind, I liken the comparison to that of a radioactive substance and half-life decay formulas. In truth, there are finitely many atoms decaying but the half-life decay formulas never acknowledge that at some point the predicted mass of what's left measures less than one atom. So I'm talking about a massive number of calculated conscious moments so that for all intents and purposes, continuous conscious awareness is the observed result.

Earlier on page 17...
"its program must
only generate a finite sequence of conscious moments."

Cheers
Brian