On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 05:15:34PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 01 Oct 2011, at 09:31, Russell Standish wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 07:02:28PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >>
> >>OK. But note that in this case you are using the notion of 3-OM (or
> >>computational state), not Bostrom notion of 1-OM (or my notion of
> >>first person state).
> >>The 3-OM are countable, but the 1-OMs are not.
> >
> >Could you explain more why you think this? AFAICT, Bostrom makes no
> >mention of the cardinality of his OMs.
>
> I don't think that Bostrom mentions the cardinality of his OMs,
> indeed. I don't think that he clearly distinguish the 1-OMs and the
> 3-OMs either. By "3-OM" I refer to the computational state per se,
> as defined relatively to the UD deployment (UD*). Those are clearly
> infinite and countable, even recursively countable.
>
> The 1-OMs, for any person, are not recursively countable, indeed by
> an application of a theorem of Rice, they are not even
> 3-recognizable. Or more simply because you cannot know your
> substitution level. In front of some portion of UD*, you cannot
> recognize your 1-OMs in general. You cannot say "I am here, and
> there, etc." But they are (non constructively) well defined. "God"
> can know that you are here, and there, ... And the measure on the
> 1-OMs should be defined on those unrecognizable 1-OMs.

I'm still struggling to understand what you mean by 1-OM here. Are you
talking about the infinite histories making up UD*? There are an
uncountable number of these, it is true.

But then, I wouldn't call these OMs. An OM must surely be related to
the set of all such histories passing through your current "here and
now". Such things, I am convinced, must be countable, implying that
each such sets histories is a continuum.