On 10/9/2011 11:21 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
What do you propose as an alternative theory?
My point is just that if we say "yes" to the doctor, then we have literally no choice on this matter.

[SPK]
To assume Yes Doctor is to assume that the physical reality of substitution exists. This existence cannot be then eliminated by some trick.

Yes, that is a point that confuses me. As I understand it accepting a brain prosthesis is supposed to maintain ones consciousness in one of two different ways:

1. The materialist supposes that the prosthesis will faithfully (to a sufficient approximation) implement the deterministic input/output function of the brain and then by the no-zombie argument one will have confidence that one's consciousness will be preserved.

2. The computationalist supposes that the prosthesis will be a quantum mechanical object and as such will be realized in all subsequent branches of the multiverse and whose Hilbert space evolution will include all those computational continuations of the infinite computational histories that instantiate you.

I'm not sure these two are compatible.