Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> It's always "true" in Platonia, where "true" just means satisfying
>>> the
>>> axioms.  In real
>>> life it's not always true because of things like: This business is so
>>> small we just have
>>> one owner and one employee and 1+1=1.
>> Yeah, but it remains to be shown that platonia is more than just an
>> idea.
>
> Physical reality is an an idea too. But as a primitive ontological
> reality, it cannot even explain the belief in the physical fact by
> machine. It needs a notion of body-observer which incarnate actual
> infinities.
I am not defending physical reality as primary. But it is not an idea as
commonly understood (you could say it is an idea of God). It is content of
our experience.
I believe the observer is an actual infinity, why not?

Aside from that, I don't think machines can believe in anything. You just
interpret that in them. Beliefs are just patterns within consciousness.
Ultimately there is no one that is believing. This itself is just a belief.

Bruno Marchal wrote:

>> haven't yet seen any evidence of that.
>> Bruno seems to justify that by reductio ad absurdum of 1+1=2 being
>> dependent
>> on ourselves, so 1+1=2 has to be true objectively in Platonia. I
>> don't buy
>> that argument. If our mind (or an equivalent mind, say of another
>> species
>> with the same intellectual capbilites) isn't there isn't even any
>> meaning to
>> 1+1=2, because there is no way to interpret the meaning in it.
>
> This contradicts your agreement that "1+1=2" is a feature of God in a
> preceding post.
Not really, when I say "1+1=2" is a feature of God I am just saying it is a
valid expression of some regularity within God. I am not implying that it
has any independent meaning outside of our mind(s) (which is God's mind).
1+1=2 is a feature of God with respect to the fact that concrete objects and
measurements tend to behave like that, not as an independent fact.

benjayk