On 23 December 2011 23:24, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:

> The argument cannot extend to an apparatus made of extended
> multiversal objects, as the "inactive" parts are no longer
> inactive. But it does require the supervenience to be extended across
> multiple multiverse branches in a way that hasn't been made precise (but
> presumably not magic!).

Forgive me if I'm repeating myself here, but one might well think it
at least as reasonable that - from the pov of the compartmentalisation
of first-person experience - that the "parts" in the extended branches
relevant to the experiences one is NOT having "here and now" are
indeed effectively inactive.  Given the mutual exclusivity of states
of consciousness, it might seem almost perverse to postulate - as
presumably a "brute fact" of MAT - that the total activity of parts
across all branches is nonetheless relevant to the supervention of a
particular state of consciousness on the branch (or branches)
associated with a single observer moment selected from the ensemble.

That said, if one indeed postulates that it simply is a brute fact
that univocal conscious states must somehow supervene on primitively
physical multiversal structures as a whole, I suppose this might well
be defended against arguments from Turing-emulability, as the logic
now seems to hinge on (primitively) physical structural facts, rather
than purely computational ones.  But perhaps this is why Bruno says
that such a conclusion must lead in effect to non-comp.

David