On 27.02.2012 17:47 John Clark said the following:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Craig
Weinberg<whatsons...@gmail.com>wrote:

There is no simulation of red. Red is only red.

But red itself is a simulation. Electromagnetic waves a length of
700 nanometers can produce the quale "red" in the minds of most (but
not all) human beings if it enters their eye, so the red quale
simulates (represents) the location and intensity of 700 nanometer
electromagnetic radiation. But red can stand for other things that
have nothing to do with light; go into a pitch dark room and close
your eyes and apply gentle pressure to your closed eyelid, you often
see splotches of red. So in this case the red quale simulates
(represents) the location and intensity of pressure.

You may want look at synaesthetes for whom red could appears for example when they hear a word "blue". You can certainly claim that in this case sound waves simulate red but then the question is what the intensity of 700 nanometer electromagnetic radiation has to do with this.

Also I believe that one feels red not only with 700 nanometer wavelength but with other combinations of wavelengths as well. This is not one to one.

Evgenii

Who we are is like that. Us-ness.

I see, ...  Us-ness. Well I'm glad you cleared that up.

John K Clark