On Mar 13, 11:15 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> >http://pss.sagepub.com/content/22/5/613.abstract
>
> > Abstract
>
> >          The feeling of being in control of one�s own actions is a
> > strong subjective experience. However, discoveries in psychology and
> > neuroscience challenge the validity of this experience and suggest
> > that free will is just an illusion. This raises a question: What would
> > happen if people started to disbelieve in free will? Previous research
> > has shown that low control beliefs affect performance and motivation.
> > Recently, it has been shown that undermining free-will beliefs
> > influences social behavior. In the study reported here, we
> > investigated whether undermining beliefs in free will affects brain
> > correlates of voluntary motor preparation. Our results showed that the
> > readiness potential was reduced in individuals induced to disbelieve
> > in free will. This effect was evident more than 1 s before
> > participants consciously decided to move, a finding that suggests that
> > the manipulation influenced intentional actions at preconscious
> > stages. Our findings indicate that abstract belief systems might have
> > a much more fundamental effect than previously thought.
>
> > Has anyone posted this yet? Hard to explain what brain correlates are
> > doing responding to an illusion...
>
> I think they just rediscovered hypnotism.
>
> Brent
> "Man can do what he wills but he cannot will what he wills."
>     --- Schopenhauer

If someone is hypnotized to think that they are eating an apple when
they are really eating a raw onion, they have to be able to imagine
what it is like to eat an apple.

If someone is hypnotized to think that they have no free will, but
free will doesn't exist to begin with, why would there be any
difference to the brain?

Craig