On Apr 2, 9:52 am, 1Z <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 6:08 pm, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I someone says to you, "You are paralyzed. You can't lift your arm." and
> > > you hear these
> > > words and interpret them how would that happen without any changes in
> > > your brain?
>
> >  Voluntary movement has to first exist in order for a suggestion of
> > paralysis to be meaningful.
>
> "Voluntary" might mean "controlled deterministically by higher brain
> centres".

The higher brain centers might mean 'us'. We control our own voluntary
movements. To control is to determine. We determine our movements
because we are the phenomenological end of the process to which our
brain is the conjugate. What we want to do is reflected in the
processes of our brain, but the brain has no opinion at all about our
voluntary movements. It is our subjective experience and physiological
process both contribute to who we are and what we do. Neither aspect
makes sense without the other.

> >If all movement was involuntary in the
> > first place then there would be no significant difference between
> > passively watching yourself move and passively watching yourself not
> > move
>
> > If we had no free will, our belief about it should have no effect on
> > the actual ability to execute our wishes though our motor cortex.
>
> Non sequitur.

Why? If you program a machine to believe that it has free will, how
would such a belief have any effect on its behavior? How could it
improve its performance in any way?