On Monday, June 11, 2012 10:45:16 AM UTC-5, RAM wrote:

>  But what I'm saying here is not ontological determinism but in fact,
> about the subjective experience. I'm defending that we cannot imagine
> ourselves in exactly the same subjective situation and still think that we
> could have done otherwise. Or something equivalent, if we were put again in
> exactly the same subjective situation, would we do otherwise? I don't think
> so, but If yes, why?

I'm assuming you mean by exactly the same situation, every atom in it's
exact same physical state. You might think the next moment in time would be
exactly the same, but at the quantum level the next physical state in time
could be different at the quantum level, and if one was truly on the fence
in making a decision, the decision could possibly fall to the other side of
the fence. The two different futures both exist but do not interact. Any
moment in time has multiple futures and multiple histories.

Now the question that came up, is this person not responsible for his/her
actions if only at the mercy of the physical laws of the universe (no free
will). The answers I've been hearing that suggest she/he may not be
responsible miss the point. The measure of wrongness was defined by
society. If history and experience yields a member of society that does a
horrendous wrong, he/she is a defect of society and needs to be removed,
rehabilitated, or whatever society dictates. Here's where I don't agree
with aquitting someone due to mental defect. If the defect is there, the
result is the same. Fix it if it's fixable or if it's not fixable remove
them from society.

- Roy