On 6/13/2012 1:44 AM, R AM wrote:
I know that you and Bruno are compatibilists. I'm not attacking your notion of free will. I agree that free will is a social construct. I'm going even further: free will doesn't even deserve a name. Deep down, free will is not something people have, but just a social definition of under what conditions or situations we will be considered responsible (and punishable).

I agree. The phrase only has a function in society as shorthand for "he did it consistent with who he is, he wasn't coerced or ill in some fixable way, and so he is punishable." That's long an cumbersome. So to avoid the magical connotations of 'free will' Vic Stenger suggested "autonomous".