Let's not ignore the most important point.

The machine has Turing closure solely due to the details of its
construction.

wrb

From: everything-list@googlegroups.com
[mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Quentin Anciaux
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 11:25 AM
To: everything-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Why AI is impossible

2012/8/15 John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:16 PM, William R. Buckley <bill.buck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Regardless of your dislike for the term omniscience

I don't dislike the term, in fact I think I'd rather enjoy being omniscient
but unfortunately I'm not.

> the Turing machine can compute all computable computations,

Yes, and thus Turing proved that in general determining if a computer
program will ever stop is not computable;

all you can do is watch it and see what it does.

No, all you can know is that no *general* algorithm (as you pointed out) can
solve that. And I have to say it again, it doesn't mean that a particular
one cannot solve the halting problem for a particular algorithm. And unless
you prove that that particular algorithm is undecidable, then it is still
possible to find another algorithm that could decide on the halting of that
algorithm.

If you see it stop then obviously you know that it stopped but if its still
going then you know nothing, maybe it will eventually stop and maybe it will
not, you need to keep watching and you might need to keep watching forever.

It's obviously not true for *a lot* of algorithm....

Quentin

  John K Clark