On 15 Aug 2012, at 16:59, Jason Resch wrote:

These are quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YPYYvZOGlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Q5l47jTy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=PBXO_6Jn1fs

Are these not forms of life?

I would say yes. Quite cute :)

Note that such automata, or more complex one actually, but behaving in the same way, can be derived algorithmically, from phi_x() = x, itself solvable with the Dx = xx trick. It is the key of all notions self (self-reproduction, self-reference, dreams, G, G*, etc.).

Bruno

Jason