From: Bruno Marchal
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-08-21, 14:31:50
Subject: Re: On comp and the is-ought problem of Hume

On 20 Aug 2012, at 15:01, Alberto G. Corona wrote:

In evolutionary terms, is and ougth reflect the double nature of a social being
which has not lost is individuality, as individual and as a member of a bigger
whole. Both are in tension. The social whole is also in our instinctive
individual nature,and appear to the conscious trough intuitions and feelings of
duty.  The "Ought" are our long term rules for survival as individuals as
member of a society trough generations, which is accesibe trough intuition. The
IS is more inmediate to our intuition (when social things are ok). But both are
given, but are adapted to the social circunstances : We would not be here if
our ancestors would not have been egoistic. Neither we would be here too if
they would not attend their social duties and repress the deleterious  part of
their selfish behaviours.

For this reason,John Maynard Smith, an evolutionist  http://meaningoflife.tv/
said that the naturalistic fallacy is itself a fallacy, because the Ough is in
an IS no less IS than the IS of our ordinary selfish behaviour, with some
matizations. is in concordance with the Christian notion of the human nature of
a man in permanent tension between the god (which he have knowledge thanks to
his Soul or his Nous) and the evil of his socially and individually deleterous
selfish impulses.

This tension between deletereous individuality that endangers the common good
appears in all the scales of evolution. there are parasite molecules, parasite
genes, parasite intracellular organules, parasite tissues and parasite
individuals against which the whole has a set of countermeasures. The
transitions from a level to the next never is complete. The tension between
individuality and sociality is ethernal, but in the human being this conflict
is not only is carried out externally, but in its own conscience.

Well said.
Mathematical modal logic, like model theory and mathematical semantics,
illustrates also that the ought can be made as an is by a change of level in
the theories, as adding dimensions can sometimes do that in mathematical
physics.
The tension between the higher self and the "little selfish ego" exists right
at the start in all universal machine, even if this is not palpable when the
machine is isolated from other machine. I mean that we can already justify a
sort of "ought" by the logic of self-reference, (notably the one give by [[]p &
<>p)), and this might corroborate some of Leibniz insight.