On 18 Aug 2012, at 15:35, Roger wrote:

IMHO

Religion deals with the unchanging Kingdom of Heaven: the eternal logic of Plato, final causes. Eternal truth,
not contingent facts. Either and always Yes or No.

Whoa! You are close to Platonism. Nice (with respect to comp).

Science deals with the Kingdom of Earth: the contingent world of Aristotle and Lebniz.
Contingent facts, not eternal truth. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I can be OK with that. We can be more precise by postulating comp, as many contingency become absolutely contingent. In particular the computational states become necessarily contingent. We have p-> []<>p (p -> necessary possible p): it makes the accessibility relation among worlds symmetrical, and something physical is something repeatable in principles.

For a modal logician, Kripke is a big progress on Leibniz, because Kripke relativizes the modalities to the 'actual world'. Leibniz always works implicitly in one modal logic (known as S5). S5 is the only modal logic which cannot be interpreted in arithmetic, at least not in the self-referential approach to cognition.

There are billions (even a continuum to be exact) of modal logic. Each defines its o<n notion of contingence and necessity. But both Aristotle, and Leibniz (and even Gödel, arguably) single out S5. More on this later perhaps.

Bruno

The other remarks of yours are mankind's mistaken views of both.