Jason Resch-2 wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM, benjayk
> <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>

>> Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>> sentence
>> assert

>> assert

>> my
>> that
>> out

>> consisted
>> nor

>> why
>> because
>> it
>> >>

>> > It is hard to find anything that is not derived from the code of the
>> > universal dovetailer.
>> The universal dovetailer just goes through all computations in the sense
>> of
>> universal-turing-machine-equivalent-computation. As Bruno mentioned, that
>> doesn't even exhaust what computers can do, since they can, for example,
>> prove things (and some languages prove some things that other languages
>> don't).
>>

> It exhausts all the possibilities at the lowest level, which implies
> exhausting all the possibilities for higher levels.

????

Sorry but that's nonsense. Look at the word: "break"
At the lowest level it is just one word, yet at the higher level there are
many possibilities what it could mean.

Exactly the same applies to computations. For every computation are there
infinitely many possibilities what it could mean (1+1=2 could mean that you
add two apples, or two oranges, or that you add the value of two registers
or that you increase the value of a flag).
Many very long computations are *relatively* less ambigous (relative to us),
but they are still ambigous.

Taking the universal dovetailer, it could really mean everything (or
nothing), just like the sentence "You can interpret whatever you want into
this sentence..." or like the stuff that monkeys type on typewriters.

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

> For example: if you exhausted every possible configuration of atoms, you
> would also exhaust every possible chemical, every possible life form, and
> every possible human.
Only because there is no absolute seperation between levels in actual
physical reality.
That is, you can't find atoms without a context of things and you can't find
things that don't contain atoms.

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>> Also, the universal dovetailer can't select a computation. So if I write
>> program that computes something specific, I do something that the UD
>> doesn't
>> do.
>>

> But you, as the one writing a specific program, is an element of the UD.
First, you presuppose that I am a contained in a computation.

Secondly, that's not true. There are no specific programs in the UD. The UD
itself is a specifc program and in it there is nothing in it that dilineates
on program from the others.

It is like there are no specific numbers in the number 123456789. it is one
number; it doesn't contain numbers. We only interpret that into it (using
some algorithm), but then using the right algorithm, we can construct all
numbers out of it. Still no one would say that 123456789 exhaust all
numbers.

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>  The UD contains an entity who believes it writes a single program.
No! The UD doesn't contain entities at all. It is just a computation. You
can only interpret entities into it.

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>> It is similar to claiming that it is hard to find a text that is not
>> derived
>> from monkeys bashing on type writers, just because they will produce
>> every
>> possible output some day.
>>
>> Intelligence is not simply blindly going through every possibility but
>> also
>> encompasses organizing them meaningfully and selecting specific ones and
>> producing them in a certain order and producing them within a certain
>> time
>> limit.
>>

> And there are processes that do this, within the UD.
No. It can't select a computation because it includes all computations. To
select a computation you must exclude some compuations, and the UD can't do
that (since it is precisely going through all computations)

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>   The UD is an example
> that programs can grow beyond the intentions of the creator.
I don't dispute that at all. I very much agree that computer rise beyond the
intention of their users (because we don't actually know what the program
will actually do).

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>  The UD itself
> isn't intelligent, but it contains intelligences.
I am not even saying that the UD isn't intelligent. I am just saying that
humans are intelligent in a way that the UD is not (and actually the
opposite is true as well).

Jason Resch-2 wrote:

>> of
>> (the

>> laws,

>> brain
>> point
>> of
>> it
>> know,
>> can
>> follows
>> evidence
>> >>

>> > So do you postulate that the laws of physics have to be malleable for
>> > humans to be creative?
>> No. They don't exist in the first place, except in the mind of
>> physicists.
>> They are approximate descriptions of the behaviour of the world. Just
>> like
>> "The sun rises in the morning" (except more accurate, of course).
>>

> Do you think it is possible, in principal, for human beings to live in a
> realm that had fixed laws?
No, because such a realm is an impossibility. Fixed laws are only
abstraction (very useful and quite accurate ones, though).

benjayk