On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 06:00:26PM +0200, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> No. That was what I told him. But he left the place, simply, without
> further comment, and quite disrespectfully. Many people were shocked
> by this behavior, but said nothing. I think Chalmers is in part
> responsible for the spreading of defamation I am living across the
> ocean, and why nobody dares to mention the first person
> indeterminacy, or my name.
>
> I am afraid he has just been brainwashed by the main victims of a
> manipulative form of moral harrasment., as I described in the book
> ordered by Grasset in 1998 (but never published).

Well hopefully, we will remedy that soon, in English at least
:). There's half a chapter left to translate, and once Kim has a
chance at proof reading it, we should be able to get you a draft.

> He is quite
> plausibly a member of the same sect which put fraternity above
> facts. It is a form of hidden corporatism.
>
> I'm afraid Chalmers might be just an opportunist.

Who isn't! This is not a serious charge.

> He is clearly not
> a serious scientist, but seems to be an expert in self-marketing.

Sadly, one has to be, to be noticed.

> His fading qualia paper is not so bad, but is hardly original, and
> lacks many references. The hard problem of consciousness is know by
> all philosophers of mind since a long time as the mind-body problem,
> and his formulation is physicalist and not general, also.
>
> Bruno

I had lunch with him in early 2006 in Canberra, and this was after I
had sent him a draft of my ToN book, so he is well acquainted with the
ideas of this list. My impression was that he has a fairly fixed world
view, a steely mind capable of finding flaws in presentations of your
argument, and a general intolerance for woolly arguments. This is not
a bad thing, but I wasn't quite prepared for it at the time. The
subject material in ToN is quite convoluted, and to run through one
strand of it with someone like him is likely to run against the ground
of some differing conception of other. Marcus Hutter seems to think he
might be more predisposed to these ideas though.

Nevertheless, I find it hard to believe that he might be spreading
malicious gossip about you. For one thing, I've never heard him, or
anyone else for that matter, even talk about your ideas, aside from
participants these mailing lists. More than likely, he dismisses you
as a harmless crank, and doesn't think about you at all. For all I
know, he may have a similar impression of me :).

Cheers