Dear Brian,

"can be defined ..." implies the necessary existence of something or process or whatever that does the act of defining the set. Truth values do not do this, btw. Sets are collections defined in terms of functions, but numbers in-themselves are not those functions.. Unless you are considering some other ideas of what sets are... If we are going to think of set as having ontological primacy we have to have a notion of a set that does not need a membership function.