On 9/15/2012 10:13 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:

I like this conversation! I am interested in the materials required for the vessel and the plumbing. Some kind of ceramic coated titanium or zirconium? Alumina reinforced steel <http://sbir.gsfc.nasa.gov/SBIR/abstracts/09/sbir/phase1/SBIR-09-1-A2.09-8630.html>?

I think most reactors using Hastelloy plumbing (one of several nickel alloys). The containment vessels are steel and concrete. They differ a lot depending on whether they are pressurized water reactors, boiling water reactors, sodium cooled,... One advantage of molten-salt reactors is that they aren't pressurized.