On 9/18/2012 12:44 PM, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    > I think most reactors using Hastelloy plumbing (one of several
nickel alloys). The containment vessels are steel and concrete. They differ a lot depending on whether they are pressurized water
    reactors, boiling water reactors, sodium cooled,...  One advantage
    of molten-salt reactors is that they aren't pressurized.

True. In the last operating thorium reactor on this planet, the MSRE at Oak Ridge that was shut down in 1969, even with tough Hastelloy plumbing there was some damage to the metal in the pipes of the MSRE caused by neutrons and other forms of radiation, however in a full sized production reactor the pipes would be largely protected by the Thorium blanket that breeds the U233.

I think its a scandal that a extraordinary promising technology like liquid fueled Thorium reactors has been frozen like a fly in amber for over 40 years because nobody will spend a dime on it.

  John K Clark

-

Given the scare that the "china Syndrome" and its hype generated, there has been little interest in a public discussion of reactor design. The Greenies have caused this, in their hysterics.

--
Onward!

Stephen