On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 1:59 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> > I think most reactors using Hastelloy plumbing (one of several nickel
> alloys).  The containment vessels are steel and concrete.  They differ a
> lot depending on whether they are pressurized water reactors, boiling water
> reactors, sodium cooled,...  One advantage of molten-salt reactors is that
> they aren't pressurized.

True. In the last operating thorium reactor on this planet, the MSRE at Oak
Ridge that was shut down in 1969, even with tough Hastelloy plumbing there
was some damage to the metal in the pipes of the MSRE caused by neutrons
and other forms of radiation, however in a full sized production reactor
the pipes would be largely protected by the Thorium blanket that breeds the
U233.

I think its a scandal that a extraordinary promising technology like liquid
fueled Thorium reactors has been frozen like a fly in amber for over 40
years because nobody will spend a dime on it.

  John K Clark