On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:
> HI Rex,
>     Nice post! Could you riff a bit on what the number PHI tells us about
> this characteristic. How is it that it seems that our perceptions of the
> world find anything that is close to a PHI valued relationship to be
> "beautiful"?

Thanks Stephen!

Actually my initial example of "numeracy" isn't quite right, but it's not
important to the rest of the argument.

My main point is that you can get to the concept of "prime numbers" just
using relative magnitudes that we have an innate sense of.

As for the significance of PHI - well - I guess there's probably some
plausible sounding evolutionary story that could be told about that.

Though how satisfying or useful an explanation like that is just depends on
what you're after and what your interests are.

An explanation that might be useful in one context might be useless in some
other context.

Explanations are observer dependent.