On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:18:26 AM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29 everything-list
>
>  Peirce's Categories (technical name: the cenopythagorean
> categories)[8]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-cenopythagorean-7>
>
> Name: Typical characterizaton: As universe of experience: As quantity:
> Technical
> definition: Valence, "adicity":
> Firstness.[9]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-8>
>  Quality
> of feeling. Ideas, chance, possibility. Vagueness, "some". Reference to a
> ground (a ground is a pure abstraction of a
> quality).[10]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-ground-9>
>  Essentially
> monadic (the quale, in the sense of the
> *such*,[11]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-10>which
>  has the quality).
> Secondness.[12]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-11>
>  Reaction,
> resistance, (dyadic) relation. Brute facts, actuality. Singularity,
> discreteness, 锟斤拷this <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haecceity>锟斤拷. Reference
> to a correlate (by its relate). Essentially dyadic (the relate and the
> correlate).
> Thirdness.[13]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categories_%28Peirce%29#cite_note-12>
>  Representation,
> mediation. Habits, laws, necessity. Generality, continuity, "all". Reference
> to an interpretant*. Essentially triadic (sign, object, interpretant*).
>
>  Roger Clough, rcl...@verizon.net <javascript:>
> 10/17/2012
>
> These categories are the stages of epistemology.
>
> Firstness is the pure quale or what I would call "inner raw experience".
> Subjective. Private. Personal.

Agree.

> Secondness is dyadic relation, typical of thinking,which is an activity of
> intelligence.

Disagree. Thinking is first person inner raw experience too. It's a
different channel of qualia (not smells, flavors, or colors, but thoughts,
ideas, memeories, etc) which is meta to subordinate qualia, but there is no
other significant difference. Thoughts are higher up on the monochord than
other kinds of sensorimotive activity (according to thoughts, anyways...it
may be relativistic).

>     The dyad seems to be to me between Firstness and Thirdness.
>
> Thirdness is the objective form of the quale, a description for the
> experience of Firstness.  Objective. Public.

Public objects are multisensory facts, so they have to be Secondness.

Thirdness is the unfolding relations between Firstness and Secondness - the
capacity for perception to develop an inertial direction. This gets into
numerology really, as three is about expression and character - the
beginning of irreversibility and disambiguation. In four, inertial
direction finds its limit - range or frame. Worlds, games, systems.

Craig