On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:24:20 PM UTC-4, rclough wrote:

> Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> Actually, I may be accused of subtly altering the meanings of
> Peirce's categories, for to him all three cats are public,
> objective. He refused to subjectively step into the mind of the
> interpreter,
> instead using the word interprant.
>
> This is very hard to understand stuff, and so it is not surprising that we
> disagree on
> the meanings of I , II, and III. Here's my view of II and III
>
> 1) Secondness (II) or thinking is subjective, so not public.
> Its dyadic nature comes from the act of comparing 2 mental things. It is
> the
> mental process of subjective recognition of a perceived object (I)
> from a set of objects stored in memory.
>
> You might say that III is the meaning of the thing,
> the unfolding of I and II, which would give it its ternary status
> sign, object, interpretant).
>
> For example,
>
> I = object (apple)
> II = sign ("apple")
> III =  meaning (or interprant= interpreted sign) of "apple" to the
> observer,
>     not just the dictionary meaning.

You are directly contradicting the information on that page, which says:
 Firstness.     Quality of feeling.     Ideas, chance, possibility.
Vagueness, "some".
i.e. nothing at all like an apple or object: private subjective experience

Secondness.   Reaction, resistance, (dyadic) relation.     Brute facts,
actuality.     Singularity, discreteness, “this”.
... "This" is like an apple: public objective realism

Thirdness.     Representation, mediation.     Habits, laws, necessity.
Generality, continuity, "all".
i.e. the semiotic medium through which private is made universal -
language, gesture, etc.

Craig