On 11/17/2012 4:25 PM, meekerdb wrote:

-------- Original Message --------

 More In This Article
    *    Overview
 _Is  Quantum Reality Analog after All?_
(http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-quantum-reality-analog-after-all)

 Conventional wisdom says that quantum mechanics is a theory of
discreteness, describing a world of irreducible building blocks. It stands to reason that computersÿÿwhich process information in discrete chunksÿÿshould be able
 to  simulate nature fully, at least in principle. But it turns out that
certain asymmetries in particle physics cannot be discretized; they are irreducibly continuous. In that case, says David Tong, author of "_Is Quantum
 Reality Analog after All?_
(http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-quantum-reality-analog-after-all) " in the December 2012 issue of Scientific American, the world can never be fully simulated on a computer.

Hi Brent,

This is what I have been trying to argue all along! One way to prove that "the world can never be fully simulated on a computer" is that to do such will cause a map paradox <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonini%27s_paradox>, where it is impossible to localize the simulation/map. We can we around this by not demanding single manifolds but instead using local mappings between many manifolds and think of space-time as an emergent set of causal relations that is constantly being updated, adapted, created. The Universe as the Internet... Additionally, QM only tells us that emission and absorption events are quantized or 'digital', the dynamics themselves are smoothly continuous.

--
Onward!

Stephen