On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:01:49PM -0800, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> In a recent paper entitled
> > “Nothing happens in the Universe of the Everett Interpretation”:
> > http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.8447
> > Jan-Markus Schwindt has presented an impressive argument against the
> > many-world interpretation of quantum mechanics.
> >
> > The argument he presents is not new, but, in my opinion, nobody ever
> > presented this argument so clearly.
> >
> > In a nutshell, the argument is this:
> > To define separate worlds of MWI, one needs a preferred basis, which is an
> > old well-known problem of MWI. In modern literature, one often finds the
> > claim that the basis problem is solved by decoherence. What J-M Schwindt
> > points out is that decoherence is not enough. Namely, decoherence solves
> > the basis problem only if it is already known how to split the system into
> > subsystems (typically, the measured system and the environment). But if the
> > state in the Hilbert space is all what exists, then such a split is not
> > unique. Therefore, MWI claiming that state in the Hilbert space is all what
> > exists cannot resolve the basis problem, and thus cannot define separate
> > worlds. Period! One needs some additional structure not present in the
> > states of the Hilbert space themselves.
> >
> > As reasonable possibilities for the additional structure, he mentions
> > observers of the Copenhagen interpretation, particles of the Bohmian
> > interpretation, and the possibility that quantum mechanics is not
> > fundamental at all.
> >
> source <http://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=4289>

Rather than Copenhagen observers, the many minds of Everett fits the
bill.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-minds_interpretation

As I see it - the argument is not new, and has been adequately
addressed within the Everett framework. What surprises me are people
like Deutsch sticking to their preferred bases...

Cheers