On Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:05:32 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

> The study showed that within 60 milliseconds, the right posterior superior
>> temporal sulcus (also known as TPJ area), located in the back of the brain,
>> was first activated, with different activity depending on *whether the
>> harm was intentional or accidental*. It was followed in quick succession
>> by the amygdala, often linked with emotion, and the ventromedial prefrontal
>> cortex (180 milliseconds), the portion of the brain that plays a critical
>> role in moral decision-making.
>>
>> There was no such response in the amygdala and ventromedial prefrontal
>> cortex when the harm was accidental.
>>

> http://news.uchicago.edu/article/2012/11/28/moral-evaluations-harm-are-instant-and-emotional-brain-study-shows
>
> Seems like being able to tell the difference between an accident and free
> will is a top priority for human consciousness. Under .06 seconds. That's
> more than three times faster than it takes to recognize an emotion in a
> human face.
>  --
>
> Hi Craig,
>
>     This is interesting as it shows the importance of distinguishing
> accidental from intentional acts. The former need to response as they
> where, in a sense, unavoidable since there is not way to avoid such in the
> future, but the latter can be avoided by some subsequent action. This seems
> to point to a built in understanding of causality and probability in the
> 'hardware'.
>
> --
> Onward!
>
> Stephen

Exactly. It seems to me that this relatively instantaneous awareness of the
situation as a meaningful gestalt runs completely contrary to what we would
expect in a comp world, where determinations of agency should be a long,
esoteric computation. If free will were, after all, an illusion, then there
would really be not much of an advantage in discerning intention to cause
harm from a simple propensity to cause harm.

Craig