On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:33:26 PM UTC-5, Alberto G.Corona wrote:

> 2012/12/11 Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>

>> On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:41:04 PM UTC-5, Alberto G.Corona wrote:
>>>
>>> You are mixing species. The human specie has his nature. The sea horse,
>>> as fine as it is, has another. human males are more aggresive for the same
>>> reason that sea horse females are aggressive **too: the other sex does
>>> the heavier effort in caring for the eggs and thus are the scarce resource
>>> for which the other sex has to fight and is the less prone to risk taking,
>>> something that is evident by a short game theoretical reasoning.  As simple
>>> as that.
>>

>> It's not that simple at all. Human males vary in their aggressiveness
>> from individual to individual, family to family, culture to culture, and
>> situation to situation. Had a comet wiped out Homo sapiens from one part of
>> Africa which had more aggressive males, then we might now identify females
>> with aggressiveness. Even in the last few years gender has changed
>> significantly as males have become more feminized in certain ways and
>> females have be come more masculine in certain ways. Certainly some of what
>> you are saying has truth to it, but it's neither a reliable nor
>> particularly important way to derive truth. It's a simplification which
>> really is inseparable ultimately with eugenics - which I don't say to put
>> the idea down as immoral, only to show that mechanistic views of
>> anthropology are inherently and inevitably fallacious.
>>

> There is no feminization nor masculinization other than we would see in
> any other specie responding to different situations.

There is a lot going on with feminization and masculinization in humans
(and apparently in some amphibians and reptiles too) in recent years. I'm
not sure what situations you are referring to, but if you aren't aware,
gender no longer a binary distinction, especially for the under 30 crowd.

> Oh ah, I understand. This is not the right use of evolution, that is, on
> the left side of politics. Because I say, and natural selection says that
> men and women have a nature instead of having none -

The nature of men and women is precisely what has evolved. Are you
postulating some gender-spirit which operates outside of evolution, guiding
it into perfect divine forms?

> so the leftist friends can engineer man at   their arbitrary pleasure- ,
> I´m being eugenesist (??) and a bad guy.

No, I made a specific point of saying that I am not accusing your view of
being bad or immoral, just simplistic to the point of being factually
incorrect. Eugenics isn't wrong just because it is evil to pass judgment on
the unborn, but because heredity is not an adequate explanation of human
identity.

> I see that the times when EO. Wilson was insulted, aggressively molested
> and expelled from universitary conferences are not over. Still the same
> rejection for the same ideological reasons.

No ideology here, only scientific questioning based on real experiences
rather than assumptions.

>>> I was not present in the holocene or whathever in the creatacic  during
>>> the millions of years when sea horses switched slowly their male female
>>> roles, but this reasoning can be done here and now with the same accuracy.
>>>

>> You make it sound like gender roles are something which exist as some
>> kind of objective property. Gender is an invention of evolution. Its roles
>> are situational and relativistic. Whether what is secreted by a gland is
>> more egg-like or more sperm-like really has no inherent role attached to
>> it. Males take care of the kids in some species and in some families.
>> Sometimes nobody takes care of the kids.
>>

> Gender is an invention of evolution?

Are you questioning that? You are aware that some species reproduce
asexually, and that many species exist without pronounced sexual
dimorphism. If we had evolved from nudibranchs instead of primate
ancestors, we, like them, would be simultaneous hermaphrodites*.* In that
case, we could be living on a planet where the whole idea of gender is
inconceivable.
*
*

>  the whole you are.  Wether evolution is or not the invention of a Creator
> or not, evolution (natural selection) gave us a nature.

It's circular to say that NATURAL selection precedes NATURE.

> I´m sorry for the liberals, but this includes everything in you. You can
> reject to look straigh at it and  look at the exceptions,  some of them
> flawed, some of them easily explainable, but the science will stay in front
> of you waiting for you to look at it.

Sounds like some ideological mumblings but I'm not sure what they mean or
what they have to do with clarifying the role of evolution in psychology.

>>> Evolution is not random . It has rules.
>>>

>> The rules are called natural selection. They aren't rules though, they
>> are consequences of actual experiences and conditions, some intentional,
>> some unintentional.
>>

> They are called phisical, laws, game theory, computation science,
> evolutionary game theory, fitness landscapes, genetics, genetic drift,
> multilevel selection.... Of course the productos of evolution are
> historical, but the laws tell you what combinations of characteristics are
> not possible whatsoever.

All laws and theories are a posteriori analyses of what we can observe and
simplify, not a priori templates which are inevitable in all possible
universes.

>> Evolutionary biology has made wonderful discoveries about animal
>>> behaviour. E.O Wilson the founder of sociobiology predicted that if a
>>> mammal would be found that has social insect organization (with a single
>>> reproductive Queen) It would be in tropical humid climate and living in the
>>> underground. Sorty after, a specie of rodent according with this
>>> description was found.
>>>

>> I'm not knocking evolutionary biology, I'm knocking what Raymond Tallis
>> calls Darwinitis - the compulsive application of generic evolutionary
>> simplifications to all features of human consciousness. Just because we
>> enjoy beautiful mates doesn't mean that the mating function can somehow
>> generate beauty to optimize its activities.
>>
>> The appreciation of beauty is clearly an adaptation.

Circular reasoning. You are saying that beauty exists because we appreciate
beauty.

> We perceive as beatiful what was adaptively relevant for our survival in
> the past.

A seductive over-simplification. By that logic, we should see poison plants
as remarkably ugly and manure as gorgeous, as it provides fuel and
fertilizer. Even if there were such a correspondence without exception
though, it explains absolutely nothing about how or why beauty would
appear. It is like saying that a rock would be attracted to rolling
downhill.

> This happens with our higher and lower capacities. For that matter we have
> a common architecture of the mind, and we share the same (adaptive)
> concepts so we can communicate in abstract ways about beauty, love,
> freedom,  loyalty and so on.

Yet we feel more compelled to focus on our personal preferences than we do
in generic commonalities.

Craig