ROGER: Hi Brian Tenneson

BRIAN: At least in the video (skip to 43:14), Tegmark estimates that our
doppelgangers
are 2^10^118 meters away which probably puts it past the range of direct
testing and, consequently,
makes it not falsifiable.

ROGER: Things not falsifiable need not be true. And things that are true need
not be falsifiable
if they are not always true (such as Popper is alive-- I think he died). His
criteria do not hold water.

BRIAN: Regarding (4), I think the disparity between you and Tegmark can be
explained by having different definitions
of universe and multiverse. Of course, if you have a metauniverse, then you'd
have a metametauniverse, ad infinitum.

There is only one "totality of all that exists" and I bet that if you were to
explain what you mean by the One to him,
he would agree that there is only one One. When he uses an aphorism like
"multiverse" he may as well be saying
"poly mega galaxy cluster" or some such. In other words I don't think Tegmark
believes in multiple Ones.
In his mathematical universe paper and ultimate ensemble paper, he posits that
there is only one type of existence
which would simplify things (a la Occam's razor). Instead of there being
mathematical and physical existence, there
is an identification between the two so they are seen to be one in the same.
This merges the spaces "mathematical objects"
with "physical objects". He argues this in those papers (though to me sometimes
it seems to be merely a plausibility argument).

ROGER: Tegmark is wrong there. According to Descartes, there are TWO types of
existence, physical and mental.
He defined physical existence as whatever is present in spacetime (that has
extension in space).
Mental existence has no extension in space. The One and indeed mathematics
itself are not extended in space,
and so are not physical. They exist in a completely different way (as Mind).
They have no physical borders
or location so that one cannot be sure if one has the physical "Totality".

The rest that you discuss below then has meaning only to a materialist.
Materialists don't follow Descartes so that IMHO their philosophy is bad
science, it is a cult.

BRIAN: Now if ME=PE, then one natural question is which mathematical structure
is "the totality of all that exists" isomorphic to? In other words, what is the
One? What is the universe? Or to abuse language a bit, what is the multiverse?
This is a question that I've been thinking about for a while now and I'm really
not sure. The current idea is to take the category of all mathematical
structures C (which is large, unfortunately), and embed that into a category of
functors defined on that category (a la Yoneda's lemma), in such a way that
every mathematical structure is embedded within that category of functors
(called a "cocompletion" of C), a sort of "presheaf" category. To have a single
mathematical object that all mathematical structures can be embedded would give
us an object that, in a sense, contains all structures. If one follows
Tegmark's idea that ME=PE, then a definition for universe just might be a
mathematical object (which by ME=PE is a physical object) that contains, in a
sense, all mathematical objects (i.e., all physical objects). It's not super
clear to me that the cocompletion of the category of all structures C exists
though since C is not a small category and thus Yoneda's lemma doesn't apply. I
would have to fine-tune the argument to work in the case of the category C I
have in mind.

If the cocompletion of C is the One, that which all mathematical structures can
be embedded, then the parallel universe question would be a matter of logic and
category theory; it would depend on how you defined "the visible universe" and
"parallel" universe.