On 25 Dec 2012, at 19:35, Brian Tenneson wrote:

At least in the video (skip to 43:14), Tegmark estimates that our doppelgangers are 2^10^118 meters away which probably puts it past the range of direct testing and, consequently, makes it not falsifiable.

But this is in the "many worlds" of one world being infinite and sufficiently homegenous. It is not the Everett, nor the comp Doppelgangers.

Also, it is not clear why would this be not testable, as we can test first person indeterminacies on such "Garden of Eden" configuration, and compare with the observation.

May be *that* can win the 1p-(plural)- measure battle, but I guess this is today just speculation.

I don't think Tegmark takes the 1p indeterminacy into account, except in the quantum wave, but not on math in general or in arithmetic.

Bruno

Regarding (4), I think the disparity between you and Tegmark can be explained by having different definitions of universe and multiverse. Of course, if you have a metauniverse, then you'd have a metametauniverse, ad infinitum. There is only one "totality of all that exists" and I bet that if you were to explain what you mean by the One to him, he would agree that there is only one One. When he uses an aphorism like "multiverse" he may as well be saying "poly mega galaxy cluster" or some such. In other words I don't think Tegmark believes in multiple Ones.

In his mathematical universe paper and ultimate ensemble paper, he posits that there is only one type of existence which would simplify things (a la Occam's razor). Instead of there being mathematical and physical existence, there is an identification between the two so they are seen to be one in the same. This merges the spaces "mathematical objects" with "physical objects". He argues this in those papers (though to me sometimes it seems to be merely a plausibility argument).

Now if ME=PE, then one natural question is which mathematical structure is "the totality of all that exists" isomorphic to? In other words, what is the One? What is the universe? Or to abuse language a bit, what is the multiverse? This is a question that I've been thinking about for a while now and I'm really not sure. The current idea is to take the category of all mathematical structures C (which is large, unfortunately), and embed that into a category of functors defined on that category (a la Yoneda's lemma), in such a way that every mathematical structure is embedded within that category of functors (called a "cocompletion" of C), a sort of "presheaf" category. To have a single mathematical object that all mathematical structures can be embedded would give us an object that, in a sense, contains all structures. If one follows Tegmark's idea that ME=PE, then a definition for universe just might be a mathematical object (which by ME=PE is a physical object) that contains, in a sense, all mathematical objects (i.e., all physical objects). It's not super clear to me that the cocompletion of the category of all structures C exists though since C is not a small category and thus Yoneda's lemma doesn't apply. I would have to fine-tune the argument to work in the case of the category C I have in mind.

If the cocompletion of C is the One, that which all mathematical structures can be embedded, then the parallel universe question would be a matter of logic and category theory; it would depend on how you defined "the visible universe" and "parallel" universe.