Hi Bruno Marchal 

Yes, the theories are nonphysical, and in addition, quantum theories
quantum theory applies to quantum fields, which are nonphysical.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/7/2013 
"Forever is a long time, especially near the end." - Woody Allen
----- Receiving the following content ----- 
From: Bruno Marchal 
Receiver: everything-list 
Time: 2013-01-07, 11:17:56
Subject: Re: Is Sheldrake credible ? I personally think so.


On 06 Jan 2013, at 21:59, Roger Clough wrote:

> Hi meekerdb
>
> Not all physicists are materialists, or if they are, they are 
> inconsistent
> if they deal with quantum physics, which is nonphysical.


All theories are non physical, but this does not make a materialist 
theory inconsistent. With non comp you can make identify mind and non 
physical things with some class of physical phenomena.

Careful, in philosophy of mind, "materialism" means "only matter 
fundamentally exists". But comp is already contradicting "weak 
materialism", the thesis that some matter exists fundamentally (among 
possible other things).

Some physicists are non materialist and even non-weak-materialist 
( (which is stronger and is necessary with comp). But even them are 
still often physicalist. They still believe that everything is 
explainable from the behavior of matter (even if that matter is 
entirely "ontologically" justified in pure math).

Comp refutes this. Physics becomes the art of the numbers to guess 
what are the most common universal numbers supporting them in their 
neighborhood, well even the invariant part of this.

Bruno


>
>
> [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
> 1/6/2013
> "Forever is a long time, especially near the end." - Woody Allen
> ----- Receiving the following content -----
> From: meekerdb
> Receiver: everything-list
> Time: 2013-01-06, 14:17:42
> Subject: Re: Is Sheldrake credible ? I personally think so.
>
>
> On 1/6/2013 5:30 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi meekerdb
>
> Materialists can't consistently accept inextended structures and
> functions such as quantum fields--or if they do, they aren't 
> materialists.
>
> So no physicists since Schrodinger are materialists. So materialism 
> can't very well be "scientific dogma" as you keep asserting.
>
> Brent
>
>
>
> [Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
> 1/6/2013
> "Forever is a long time, especially near the end." - Woody Allen
> ----- Receiving the following content -----
> From: meekerdb
> Receiver: everything-list
> Time: 2013-01-05, 15:37:09
> Subject: Re: Is Sheldrake credible ? I personally think so.
>
>
> On 1/5/2013 6:26 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
> Hi Richard Ruquist
>
> Empirical data, to my way of thinking, trumps scientific dogma
> (such as materialism) any day.
>
> It's rather funny that you keep assailing scienctists as being 
> dogmatic materialists and yet you think their world picture: curved 
> metric space, quantum fields, schrodinger wave functions,... is all 
> immaterial.
>
> Brent
>
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.2805 / Virus Database: 2637/6007 - Release Date: 
> 01/03/13
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> Groups "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
> .
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en 
> .
>
> -- 
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
> Groups "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com 
> .
> For more options, visit this group at 
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en 
> .
>

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/



-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to