Craig, I read many of your posts, none was so pessimistic so far.
To Roger's opinion: I don't know what may IMPROVE, (or  even deteriorate?)
the gene-pool? I think it is irrelevant. Good/Bad???
for whom? for what?
Here is a post I wrote to the media about an abortion-related topic:
-------------------------------

To: the Editor of "Opinion"
-----------------------
On: 'Roe vs Wade' Anniversary

Life (any) does not start at conception. Take a lifeless (dead?) sperm and
a lifeless egg - you can do whatever you want, no 'life' will start, only
if both partners are alive already.
Also: a human being is not started at conception, only the process-kickoff,
 leading to the development of such (gestation).
Similarly futile is the point that a (human?) soul is provided at
conception: in cases of the usual  test-tube process, the technician has no
authority to have a soul provided by God.
Especially not for all starting genoms of which the few lucky ones are
surviving.

As an old natural scientist I also take exception to calling the fetus, -
still in the preparatory developmental stage of a new human being in the
womb - a baby:
     a 'baby' indeed is a very young beginning of a human person, ready to
grow up.
A fetus is a 'parasite' in the body of the mother, feeding on her
metabolism and developing to become a human personality by the time when it
becomes a separate entity: breathing on its own  and moving around,
applying its own metabolism and repair functions among other human treats.

With women elevating in the societal appreciation closer and closer to
their male "owners", getting equal rights and positions, doing equal work
for society it is unconscionable to keep them as 'baby-producing machines'
without their free and undeniable consent/objection to undergo the
discomfort of a gestation, the pain of a birth and the changed lifestyle of
a mother (more involved than the male participant who still preserves the
right to regulate and rule). Roe vs Wade was the second step elevating the
USA into the company of the civilized 'western' world - the first was the
abolition of slavery.

John M