On Saturday, January 26, 2013 11:36:45 AM UTC-5, JohnM wrote:

> Craig, I read many of your posts, none was so pessimistic so far.

Ah, maybe I was being more sarcastic than the internet allows. I was
intending to mock those ideas by quoting Scrooge, as I think that there is
nothing further from the truth than the idea that character is completely
independent from their circumstance - that people with no shoes can pull
themselves up by their bootstraps or who have been born into a system of
oppression can free themselves by belief in the free market or some such
thing.

Craig