On 01 Feb 2013, at 20:25, Stephen P. King wrote:

On 2/1/2013 5:20 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net > wrote:
On 1/31/2013 4:46 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
What's an entity?

Any system whose canonical description can be associated with some kind of fixed point theorem.

Ok, do you figure that a human being can be considered an entity under that definition?

Hi Telmo,

Recall the phrase "I think therefore I am." The "I" is a fixed point under variations of content of experience.

Yes. And Descartes limited to the doubts experiences. He tried to doubt all propositions, but then he has to doubt the proposition asserting that he doubts all propositions, that is conceiving certainty.
Dubito ergo cogito. (I doubt thus I think)
Cogito ergo sum.  (I think thus I am).

This is Löbian, with the classical definition, making Dt such a fixed point.

But neither Descartes, nor any correct Löbian machine, can prove Dt, although the reasoning above validly confirm, from the first person point of view, consciousness as undoubtable, with consciousness being something like Dt?, a sort of basic, automated, instinctive, elementary faith in a reality.

Thomas Slezak made a similar analysis of the cogito of Descartes. References in the general biblio of "Conscience and Mecanisme".

This need the classical definition of knowledge, which is given here by Thaetetus definition in arithmetic, thanks to incompleteness (the machine cannot know that Bp and Bp & p are equivalent).

This entails the fact that we can be genuinely aware that we dream, but we can never be genuinely aware that we are awake, (as the usual Turing emulation thought experiences illustrate).

Bruno