On Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:38:28 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>  On 1/31/2013 4:46 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> What's an entity?
>

>     Any system whose canonical description can be associated with some
> kind of fixed point theorem.

Nice. Interestingly this just came up on another list five minutes ago.
Some interesting etymology too:

entity (n.)
    1590s, from Late Latin entitatem (nom. entitas), from ens (genitive
entis) "a thing," proposed by Caesar as prp. of esse "be" (see is), to
render Greek philosophical term to on "that which is" (from neuter of prp.
of einai "to be;" see essence). Originally abstract; concrete sense in
English is from 1620s.

entire (adj.)
    late 14c., from Old French entier "whole, unbroken, intact, complete,"
from Latin integrum (nom. integer; see integer).

 A slightly different meaning when we formalize it... a literal entity has
a thingness definable by position. A more figurative or casual reference
could mean like a 'the aspect of a presence or representation which
emphasizes its closure'.

Craig