Thanks Freqflyer,

It's interesting for me because in some respects, Roger seems like a shadow
version of myself in that we are both driven by a similar cranksessive
motivation to focus on the particulars of the Hard Problem. Having had no
exposure to speak of in philosophy generally or Leibniz in particular, I
have found, through Stephen P. King first, and then continuing with Roger,
that what I have come up with bears some strong similarities to Leibniz'
Monadology. There are several other philosophers, scientists, and artists
whose work I have discovered in the past few years who I am also glad to
have found after I had already developed my thoughts, or I would have
thought that I had plagiarized from them. This has been an unexpected bonus
of this hobby - learning about a lot of big ideas as they come up, without
having to digest a lot of other writing that I'm not prepared to understand.

Anyhow, my beef with Roger is primarily the spamorrhea tactics that he has
adopted, number one. I'm sure that I have bothered more than one person on
this list with my posts, but I have never tried fill up the list with my
topics intentionally. I may have interminable arguments, but hopefully they
are combined to one or two threads at a time. The second complaint I have
is his belligerent politicization. I'd be lying if I said I would feel the
same about an equally political poster who was not proselytizing regressive
bigotry, but even it he was someone who I can identify with politically, I
would still think 'dude, this isn't a good place for this...you're
embarrassing the cause.'

The Leibniz posting is actually the least offensive part of the Roger show,
IMO - although it was probably enough sometime six months ago (which I'm
sure people feel about my posts as well).

Where my hypothesis differs from Leibniz and Bruno is as follows:

Leibniz (or Leibniz a la Clough) -

"Why ? Consciousness is bipolar, consisting of a
> nonphysical-subject/physical-
> object  pair, a true living subject looking at  a spactime physical
> object."

There are some important considerations here.
1. If someone drinks a physical coffee object, their nonpysical-subject
experiences stimulation. If they take physical aspirin, their non-physical
headache pain goes away. While we can find examples such as psychosomatic
illness and placebo effect where the result may imply that the object is
influenced directly by the subject. This should tell us right away that
simplistic models of the relation between human consciousness, the brain,
awareness and matter are probably not an adequate place to start. We all
agree that magnetic stimulation of the brain can have direct and specific
effect on subjectivity, and that meditation can change neurological
behavior.

2. What would it mean for something non-physical to be directly interacting
with something physical? This seems to be the overlooked elephant in the
room since Descartes substance dualism. If Substance A can interact with
Substance B, then the two substances must either be aware of each other, or
they must share a third Substance C which is aware of both...of course,
Substance C has the same problem, it needs a Substance C-A and a Substance
C-B, and the infinite regress of homunculus transduction protocols begins.

3. In a dream, we can not easily tell that we are dreaming. Even in the
face of directly irrational circumstances, the feeling of realism can
persist without any notice. We can see and interact with things which are,
from our perspective within the dream, objects. What's the point of saying
you have separate fundamental substances if they interaction is
indistinguishable in many circumstances? Often our motives are compromised
by sub-conscious influence, but we can also do things like take drugs to
change our brain, or kill ourselves, which require a rather tortured
explanation to be portrayed as evolved behaviors.

All of these suggest to me that the boundary between "physical" and
"non-physical" is scientifically meaningless. I don't think that we can
even say that there is anything non-physical, especially in light of
phenomena like synchronicity and quantum entanglement.  To label something
metaphysical, non-physical, emergent, I think is to castigate the phenomena
and refuse to examine it intelligently. To me, this means understanding
that the nature of physics, while aesthetically divided on many levels into
public-facing and private-facing phenomena, and divided in an absolutely
perpendicular way (public bodies are nested additively from space , private
experiences are nested subtractively from eternity), physics, as a
pansensitive interaction, is an unbroken whole. Consciousness is not only
bipolar, it is divisible in multiple senses, although polarity is a
significant part of that theme and should not be overlooked. Object and
subject are more meaningful linguistically than scientifically. What is
real is public bodies and private experience. The dream basketball is like
a 'real' basketball except in the sense that the dream basketball cannot be
located in public. It is public vs private, or unity vs multiplicity which
united physics, mathematics, and subjective philosophy.

As far as Bruno goes, I admire all of the work that I have seen of his, and
had this been another time in my life and were I more mathematically
literate, I would very likely think that his solution is the right one. As
it stands instead, my understanding has taken a different path in which I
can clearly see that any assumption of quantifiable phenomena as primary
cannot be correct. I have tried many times to explain here that this is not
because I want it to be that way, or because I fear technology or love
humanity, but rather that I understand the difference between aesthetic
experiences in which there is perception and participation, and mechanical
functions in a low level phenomena is used as a device to simulate parts of
experiences.

It's hard to show some people why this difference is real and why it is
important (others get it right away). Ironically, Roger's obsession with
monads are part of the solution. Leibniz is not the only thinker to
conceive of the universe as emerging within a singularity rather than
exploding out of it. Terms like Totality, the Abolute, Ein Sof, Tao,
Brahman, Aion, etc, all suggest the same kind of 180 degree pivot of the
assumption of universe as assembled objects. Once we try this cosmological
flip, we wind up with experiences that can be counted, rather than
countings which can simulate experience. The totality of arithmetic truth
fits in as a single two dimensional slice across eternity, a vanishingly
thin layer, but universal in a horizontal sense. The rest of the universe
can only be experienced directly. Arithmetic truth is the shadow of the
monad - the imposter, the anesthetic servant whose job it is to minimize
consciousness, and to make it disappear.

Craig