Hi Chris and John

The paper I linked to describes a evolutionary dynamic which emphasizes
horizontal over vertical genetic transfer. I think it is described in the paper
as Lamarckian because changes to the coding mechanism can occur in their model
within a single generation of organisms rather than over the course of many. I
understand (perhaps incorrectly?) that horizontal transfer is not uncommon
within bacteria and other 'simple' organisms. And of course in the evolutionary
epoch they discuss organisms were far simpler again. I suspect also that their
model goes against the neo-Darwinian grain insofar as it possibly emphasizes
group selection over genetic selection. They suggest that in this very early
period it was in fact communities of organisms that were being selected for or
against rather than individual genes. But, that might be a misread. They say:

" The key element in this dynamic is innovation-sharing, an evolutionary
protocol whereby descent with variation from one ‘‘generation’’ to the next is
not genealogically traceable but is a descent of a cellular community as a
whole"

Ofcourse, it might be the case that this kind of adaptation sits happily under
the umbrella of Darwinism even neo-Darwinism. In fact as a layman I am (perhaps
naively?) unconcerned about the taxonomy of their model within evolutionary
theory.

What really interests me isn't even the plausibility of their model but rather
the bare possibility that it might offer an argument against Statham's in this
thread's original post.

All the best.