>> Darwin could explain how simple organisms could become more complex, but he
>> didn't even attempt to explain how the first organism came into existence
>> because before natural selection can kick in you need some sort of heredity.
>> Recently there has been some discussion about clays playing a part in that
>> because under some circumstances the atoms in the crystal lattice of clays
>> can display a sort of very rudimentary heredity; it's a interesting thought
>> but right now the idea is so sketchy it would be pushing it to call it a
>> theory.

There is also the intriguing life-like behavior of self-replicating and
"evolving" charged conglomerations of dust particles that come into contact
with plasma and gather electrons (gaining a charge) generating an interesting
phenomena called plasma crystals.

 http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/9/8/263/fulltext/
Abstract. Complex plasmas may naturally self-organize themselves into stable
interacting helical structures that exhibit features normally attributed to
organic living matter. The self-organization is based on non-trivial physical
mechanisms of plasma interactions involving over-screening of plasma
polarization. As a result, each helical string composed of solid microparticles
is topologically and dynamically controlled by plasma fluxes leading to
particle charging and over-screening, the latter providing attraction even
among helical strings of the same charge sign. These interacting complex
structures exhibit thermodynamic and evolutionary features thought to be
peculiar only to living matter such as bifurcations that serve as `memory
marks', self-duplication, metabolic rates in a thermodynamically open system,
and non-Hamiltonian dynamics. We examine the salient features of this new
complex `state of soft matter' in light of the autonomy, evolution,
 progenity and autopoiesis principles used to define life. It is concluded that
complex self-organized plasma structures exhibit all the necessary properties
to qualify them as candidates for inorganic living matter that may exist in
space provided certain conditions allow them to evolve naturally.