Current software is very energy efficient -- and on so many levels. I worked
developing code used in the Windows Smartphone and it was during that time that
I had to first think hard about the energy efficiency dimension in computing --
as measured by useful work done per unit of energy. The engineering management
in that group was constantly harping on the need to produce energy efficient
code.

Programmers are deeply engrained with a lot of bad habits -- and not only in
terms of producing energy efficient software. For example most developers will
instinctively grab large chunks of resources -- in order to ensure that their
processes are not starved of resources in some kind of peak scenario. While
this may be good for the application -- when measured by itself -- it is bad
for the overall footprint of the application on the device  (bloat) and for the
energy requirements that that software will impose on the hardware. Another
example of a common bad practice poorly written synchronization code (or
synchronized containers).

These bad practices (anti-patterns in the jargon) can not only have a huge
impact on performance in peak usage scenarios, but also act to increase the
energy requirements for that software to run.

I think that -- with a lot of programming effort of course (which is why it
will never happen) that the current code base, and not only in the mobile small
device space, where it is clearly important, but in datacenter scale
applications and service (exposed) applications as well -- that the energy
efficiency of software has a huge headroom for improvement. But in order for
this to happen there has to first be a profound cultural change amongst
software developers who are being driven by speed to market, and other
draconian economic and marketing imperatives and are producing code under these
types od deadlines and constraints.

If there is a theoretical minimum that derives from the second law of
thermodynamics it must be exceedingly far below what the current practical
minimums are for actual real world computing systems. And I do not see how a
minimum can be determined without reference to the physical medium in which the
computing system being measured is implemented.

In fact how could a switch be implemented without it being implemented in some
medium that contains the switch?
-Chris